Monday, June 22, 2009

Holland tells Chelios Bye

The off-season moves have begun for Detroit starting today. Almost 2 weeks ago the Detroit Red Wings lost the Stanley Cup to the Pittsburgh Penguins and today the Detroit Red Wings have parted ways with defensemen, Chris Chelios.
It appears Chris Chelios has played his last game for the Detroit Red Wings.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Chelios will not be offered a contract by the team after meeting with general manager Ken Holland on Monday.

"I met with Chelios and told him we would not be offering him a contract," Holland told the Free Press. "He wants to play again. I really think that he does have another year in him. I think he can play 10 to 15 minutes. I think he can play on a third pair."

In 28 games this season, the 47-year-old Chelios scored no points with a plus-1 rating.

Over his 26-year career, the Chicago native has scored 185 goals and added 763 assists for 948 points in 1,644 games.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282583

I appreciate everything Chelios has done for this team and for the economy in Michigan (he owns three restaurants here in Michigan). I wish him the very best in everything he does from hear on out. I'll continue to support him by visiting his restaurants every so often. Best of luck, Cheli!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sad to see him leave the Wings for sure, he said he still wants to play though, so I wonder who he'll end up with. Good idea to only sign him to a one year deal, frees up a bit of cap space as well. Overall a good investment I'd say

    ReplyDelete